I’m sure you’ve heard the word “Detox” a lot! Well, I went on a skin detox lately, and I want to share my Skin Detox routine.
Recently my skin has just been breaking out really bad, I have been trying a lot of different kinds of products and confusing my skin, eating a lot of junk and spicy food. I’m basically, just not taking care of the body’s largest organ; my skin. Usually, once a year, I take a step back from all the different products and bad food and just take time off for my skin to breath. This year, I did not get a chance to. I know it’s a little late in the year, but my skin is screaming, and I thought I would take you through my process this time.
Why is it important to detox your skin?
The skin reflects our overall health; it eliminates your body of toxins and leaves the whole body feeling clean and increases the body’s energy. Detox is vital for improving the overall wellness of the skin. Detoxing the body will help improve the body’s circulation while flushing out dirt and pollutants. Detoxifying the body on the inside and outside is very important. If you do not take care of your skin, it will not perform as designed.
How long should I detox for?
I like to give myself a 2-week-long detox. However, the time period can vary from person to person, you could detox for 3 days, a week or a whole month! It’s totally up to you on how long you think your body and skin needs to detox. I would recommend a detox 3 times a year to be ideal for the skin.
What should I do during a detox??
- Switch to a healthy vegetarian diet
- Steam and Sauna
- Epsom salts bath soaks
- Dry brushing for the body
- Masks (clay or charcoal mask) * patch test before you use one
- Drink lemon with hot water first thing in the morning or a tbsp. of raw apple cider in warm water
- Avoid makeup and stick to moisturizers and sunscreens only
- Hydrate between tea and water. Eat fresh foods, mainly veggies as fruits are usually high in sugar
What should I eat during a detox?
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Light meals
What should I drink during a detox?
- Drink a lot of water, Green tea, Chamomile tea, Infused water (Lemon, Cucumber, Mint, or Watermelon)
- Fresh green juices or green smoothies
- I suggest starting the day with raw apple cider vinegar in the morning by adding a tsp. of honey and a pinch of cinnamon powder.
- Pure Coconut waters (check the ingredients when buying bottled)
What type of skincare products should I use during a detox? (*Patch skin before use)
- No makeup (Try to use natural products if you must
- Moisturizer, Serums
- Clay masks, mud masks
- Hydrating sheet masks
- Sunscreen. Lots and lots of sunscreen. You do not want to skip this
- Dry brush for the body
- Salt and sugar body scrubs
- Epson saltwater soaks
- Steam and Sauna
Skincare routine during a detox?
Step 1 – Wash face
Step 2 – Apply a Serum
Step 3 – Apply Moisturizer (If the skin needs it)
Step 4 – Apply Sunscreen
Step 1 – Wash face
Step 2 – Apply Treatments, Oils, and Retinol
I would also suggest;
- Getting a sauna or steam for the face and body
- Dry brushing the body
- Avoiding Refined Sugars
- Avoiding Meats
- Avoiding All kinds of milk
- Avoiding Products that contain high fructose corn syrup
- Avoiding Bread
- Avoiding Soda’s
Symptoms your body is telling you that you need a detox
- Yellow or white -coat on the tongue and bad breath
- Body fluid retention and congested sinuses
- Belly fat (visceral fat) or increased belly size and abdominal bloating
- Food cravings and high blood sugar issues
- Gallbladder issues (Even if you had it removed)
- Overheating/excess sweating
- Weight loss resistance
- Itchy dry skin, acne or rosacea
- Lethargic or sleep-deprived
- Mood swings
- Chemical sensitivity – When any alcohol or fragrant smells make you dizzy, lightheaded or even anxious
How many times should I detox?
At least twice a year.